Já tinha escrito sobre o português Amadeu Ferreira, agente do OSS, sem saber que o seu nome era Sales Amadeu Ferreira. Encontrei a designação e a foto aqui. O obitário consta aqui: «Amadeu Ferreira - died at Martin Memorial Hospital South. He spent his formative years in Lisbon, Portugal, with his parents, Eugenie and Jaime Ferreira, who pre-deceased him. He served in the Army-OSS during World War II. He graduated from Brown University and began his career with Becton Dickinson and Company as assistant to the Foreign Sales Manager. He was assigned to the company's Mexican and Brazilian subsidiaries and was named Acting Director of the International Division in 1959 and Director in 1960. He retired in 1985 as President of the International Division. Survivors include his wife, Patricia, daughters, Ann F. Kelly and Margaret T. Ferreira; son, Paul J.(Kathleen) Ferreira and grandchildren, Meredith and Tyler Kelly and Megan and Kelly Ferreira. A Memorial service will be held at Peace Presbyterian Church. Arrangements are made by Martin Funeral Home and Crematory, Stuart, Florida. Published in the Stuart, Fl newspaper, Novembver 2, 2005».
16 January 2018
It's a book about Italian prisioners who escaped from Bristish Prisons in Africa. Giovanni Corsini, from an old family of Florence that gave birth to a Pope, [Clemente XII], condottieri and so many others all from the ruling class. Detained in Adis Abeba, later transferred to Kenia.Covered by an alias - Capt. J. A. Dickson - he reached his final destination. 3 500 kms that ended in Mozambique, where, in 1943, he was later released, thanks to the effort of Umberto Campini, Consul and agent of the Italian Secret Service.
After the war, he remained in Mozambique, where, with Franco Tonelli, he founded Italmo, Sociedade Comercial Italo-Moçambicana. In 1979 was published a book a book of his memories, Lunga fuga verso in Sud. I waiting for its arrival. That means that I back on the road again.
10 June 2017
I found a newspaper cut from a Kingston newspaper [dated 2nd Jan 1952] concernin the salvaged of a German ship [Drachenfels] and an Italian other [Anfora], sunk at Marmagoa by their crews after a British attack [Operation Longshanks]. See the original here. After this list from Lloyd Triestino I cannot confirm that it was Anfora.
08 May 2017
More about "Mykhailo" Tereshchenko [Ukraine]: «During the World War II Michael Tereshchenko organized a caution crossing of scientists, artists, participants of protest from Monaco to London in order to help them to escape the German occupation. » [see here].
Another revelation here from his grandson, Michael: «In 1931 the largest Austrian bank, the Credit-Anstalt, went bankrupt. In seven years grandfather was able to recover 99.5 percent of its wealth. When Hitler began to threaten Austria in 1938, grandfather succeeded in transferring all the bank’s funds to an offshore bank in Monaco a few weeks before the invasion. Hitler considered him his personal enemy. I am very proud that Lenin and Hitler wanted to kill grandfather, but they failed.”».
From the family page on FB I quote: «A few words about what "offshore" really is, its purposes and who was the Founding Father. Mikhail Tereshchenko was the one who saved and restored the entire capital of the Creditanstalt bank. At that time, the bank could get into the hands of Adolf Hitler. Tereshchenko thought out a new structure, that would manage all the foreign assets of the Austrian bank, but officially located in a neutral country, beyond the reach of the German authorities. Michael shared these ideas with his colleagues and managers, who were mainly British banks representatives. They approved his proposal as one. Michael ruled out Switzerland: as it was too close to Germany and chose Monaco - he often went there and has established friendly relations with Louis II, Prince of Monaco. Michael proposed the creation of the bank at Monte Carlo - this will be the prototype of all future offshore banks, which after a few decades will form the basis of Monaco's financial stability. On March 11, 1938 in the capital of the former Austro-Hungarian Empire, unrests flared up again and the Nazi fifth column has already called Germany for help. On March 12, 1938, Mikhail left Austria, carrying all documents in a travel bag, which accommodated all the foreign assets of the bank Credit-Anstalt in the Principality of Monaco. Upon arrival in Monaco, Michael learned about Anschluss and how easily Hitler grasped in a few hours the Austrian capital. But Hitler was not able to reach the huge foreign assets of Creditanstalt bank, which were already controlled by the first in the history offshore bank - newly created "Société Continental de Gestion", where the first president was - Mikhail Tereshchenko. After the operation, the British bankers ordered to put in all international books on Economics - the project and the term#offshore, created by Mikhail Tereshchenko.
Step by step I am approaching the reason for the contact between him and John Beevor from SOE.»
Picture above: coat of arms of the family  and a photograph of MT.
07 May 2017
Fernando Pessa was the voice at BBC's Portuguese Service during WW2. Invited in 1938 to work there, while he was serving our national broadscast station [Emissora Nacional] he obtain full agreement of the Director, Capt. Henrique Galvão. He worked in London, at The Broadcasting House and at and Evesham [see here], for eight and half years. See this documentary [in Portuguese, after 12:37 till 29:05].
01 May 2017
At last I found him! Mikhail Ivanovich Tereshchenko (Russian: Михаи́л Ива́нович Тере́щенко), Finance Minister of the Kerenski Russian Provisional Government [1886-1956]. Lawyer, art collector, publisher, businessman. Mason [lodge La Patite Ourse, St. Petersburgh].
John Grosvenor Beevor, SOE head in Portugal, disclose he was his first contact in this country. But I could not find any trace at all about him, but only references to his business activities in France, Monaco and Madagascar after the Bolshevik Revolution .
Tonight progress was made. He worked also in Mozambique, and yes, in Lisbon during WW2, undercovered.
Tereshchenko, visited Beevor in several occasions, calling for that a lady who was providing Red Cross passports as a intermediate. He had a house in Estoril, which was owned by a German and reported the relevant fact that led to the discovered by Section V of MI6 of one of the top German agents who spied for naval intelligence, mainly vessels routes.
He spoke nine idioms fluently [alias tirtheen], including Portuguese.Aleksandr Yakovlevich Golovin painted him, as can be seen here:
23 April 2017
[After my sources]
Marguerite (Rita) Winsor [not Windsor] worked in Bletchley Park, with the codebreakers, later in the forties in Lisbon, at the British Embassy, posing as typist, accordingly with the official list of personnel transmitted to the Portuguese Foreign Office.
She was an agent of MI6 as a Secretary. She provided visas for Ian Fleming, Somerseth Maugham and Malcolm Muggeridge, all from the Secret Service; and Alexander Korda, film director
In Otto John escape to Portugal, after failed attempt to kill Adolph Hitler, she had a relevant role in exfiltrating him. John describe it with fulll detail in his book of memoirs.
She was a friend of Klop Ustinov, also an MI6 agent.
After the war she established a travel agency [see The Times, 6 May 1957]. Nadia Benois, Klop's wife designed a poster for the wall of the bureau
I am conducting a research about her role in the Secret Service during the war. After a close friend of her, she had a house in Algarve (Vila Nova de Cacela, Casa Marguerite, n.º 4). She died there, and funeral was in Sufolfk (UK).
22 April 2017
Born in Wolverhampton (UK) in 1909, recruited to Mi6 in 1937; working on PCO in Vienna, later in Riga (Latvia, acting as Vice-Consul, from 1938 till 1940 (occupation of the Baltic States by USSR).
From 1941 to 1944 served in Madrid as head of counter espionage [Section V of Mi6, posing as 3d Secretary]. There he reported technically to Hamilton Stokes, Head of the Madrid SIS Station].
He was alowed to read ISOS traffic.
After his work, Treasure, Artist, Tricycle and Garbo were sent to England to work with XX Committee.
Having worked under "Kim" Philby direction, the defection of this one to Moscow has "blown" his cover. He continued to serve Mi6 in Rome [1944-1948, 2nd and later 1st Secretary, 1950-1953], Spain (1953-1956), Peru and Brazil.
Married to Peggien Pollock Lambert.
Retired in 1968. Died in 1999.
He wrote twelve fiction books and was President of the Crime Writers Association.
|Twenty-fourth Level||1969||WM Collins|
|Sole Agent||1970||WM Collins|
|Spy in Chancery||1972||WM Collins|
|Craig and the Jaguar||1973||Macmillan|
|Craig and the Tunisian Tangle||1974||Macmillan|
|Death on the Appian Way||1974||Chatto & Windus|
|Craig and the Midas Touch||1975||Macmillan|
|The Red Hen Conspiracy||1982||Macmillan|
|A Single Monstrous Act||1982||Macmillan|
|Time for Murder||1985||Robert Hale|
|Ward of Caesar||1985||Robert Hale|
|Greek Fire||1985||Robert Hale|
I wrote about him here.
29 March 2017
03 December 2016
Ian Lancaster Fleming, creator of 007, worked as a Naval Intelligence Officer at the NID, the Naval Department directed by Admiral John Henry Godfrey.
Both were in Lisbon, in 1941, traveling to America.
Issued in 10th Dec. 1942 this document honours Commander (Sp) R.N.V.R., Fleming for the work he has done in the Admiralty, emphasizing that «zeal, ability, and judgment are together exceptional».
I quoted from the source: «Illustrated with archival film and photographs, as well as interviews with those involved, the documentary traces the evolution of civilian involvement in radio-based intelligence during both world wars.
«It was the tireless work of amateur radio enthusiasts during World War I, that initially convinced the Admiralty to establish a radio intercept station at Hunstanton. Playing an integral role during the war, technological advances meant that radio operators could pinpoint signals, thus uncovering the movement of German boats, leading to the decisive Battle of Jutland in 1916.
«Wireless espionage was to play an even more important role during World War II, with the Secret Intelligence Service setting up the Radio Security Service, which was staffed by Voluntary Interceptors, a band of amateur radio enthusiasts scattered across Britain. The information they collected was interpreted by some of the brightest minds in the country, who also had a large hand in deceiving German forces by feeding false intelligence.»
Production: BBC East
Producer: Douglas SalmonEditor: Rod Thomas
22 November 2016
Jim Wormold became agent 59200/5, acting from Cuba, and mislead everyone in the USA intelligence community. Anticipating the cynical style of "John Le Carré", Graham Greene wrote the plot in 1958. And I wrote about him, and his connections with Portugal, 10 years ago [see here].
Greene was in charge of the Portuguese desk in Section V of Mi6 during WW2. Harold Russell («Kim») Philby was a close and dangerous connection. Greene wrote the preface of Philby's memoirs My Silent War, after the escape of the late to the USSR.
Much later he traveled trough the country with his friend the Catholic priest Father Durán and was hosted by Olga Nicolis de Robilant (Cadaval) at his villa in Sintra.
Tonight, wandering in the internet I found the trailer of the film.
19 November 2016
Kuno Weltzien, German agent [Eins Marine spy network Bendixen/Schubert/Weltzien] in Lisbon. Alleged members of the ring were Armando Annes, Joaquim Ferreira Borges, José Alves Marques, Carlos Santos, e Duncan Scott-Ford
Engineer, head of the merchant firm Cudell & Weltzien, Ldª) , Krupps representative with office at Rua de São Paulo, 117-121.
Alleged [an ex-Austrian and a Swiss Woman] British secret service agents assault the 1st floor premises of the firm, in 19.01.1942, with the purpose of obtaining documents and photos in order to dismantle this Axis network. [source: Portuguese Foreign Office Archives MNE/AHD, 2º Piso, Arm. 59, maço 265; see also ANTT/AOS/CO/PC,8D, pasta 2, fls, 155.156].
Etiquetas: Kuno Weltzien
28 October 2016
Thank you to Charles LaBlonde who sent me this letter written by Francesco Rodi, crew member of the Italian ship Anfora, sunk in Marmagoa after the British attack of a SOE command.
I quoted his name in my book about the event, afer a Red Cross Report read in the Portuguese Foreign Office Archive in Lisbon.
He was arrested in Aguada Prison as many others waiting to be submited to a judicial trial.
23 October 2016
First number of the magazine "Mundo Gráfico [1940-1948]", October 1940, directed by Artur Portela. Cover has a photo of Premier Salazar and Presiden Carmon during Autumn military maneuvers.
In the same edition the opening article, signed byy the director, is entitled "O grande Churchill" (The Big Churchill).
02 October 2016
Letter to the President of Portugal on America's Intentions in North Africa [November 8, 1942]
My dear Mr. President:
The Republic of Portugal and the United States of America have long enjoyed the full and complete friendship of each other. Because of this great friendship, and our mutual desire to insure its continuation, I desire to relate to you the urgent reasons that have compelled me to dispatch to the assistance of the friendly French possessions in North Africa a strong Army of the United States.
I have been advised by very reliable sources of information that in the near future it is the intention of Germany and Italy to occupy the French North African colonies with a large military force.
I know that it will be quite clear to you that prompt and effective action should be taken to deter such an attempt by the Axis Nations, with its inherent danger to the defenses of the Western Hemisphere.
To forestall occupation by the Axis Nations of the French North African possessions and protectorates, and thus to insure the defense of American Nations, is the only reason which prompts the dispatch of powerful United States forces to the area. It is hoped that French North Africa will not suffer in any way from the destruction of war on its own soil.
I desire to reassure you fully that the presence of American military forces in French North Africa presages in no manner whatsoever, a move against the people or Government of Portugal or against any of Portugal's continental or island possessions. Since I realize that Portugal really desires above all else to avoid the horrors and devastation of war, I hope that you will accept my solemn assurance that your country should have no fear of the motives of the United Nations.
I am, my dear Mr. President,
Your sincere friend,
By virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and Statutes, including Title I of the First War Powers Act, 1941, and as president of the United States and Commander in Chief of the Army and the Navy, it is hereby ordered as follows:
1. There are transferred to and consolidated in an Interim Research and Intelligence Service, which is hereby established in the Department of State, (a) the functions of the Research and Analysis Branch and of the Presentation Branch of the Office of Strategic Services (provided for by the Military Order of June 13, 1942), excluding such functions performed within the countries of Germany and Austria, and (b) those other functions of the Office of Strategic Services (hereinafter referred to as the Office) which relate to the functions of the said Branches transferred by his paragraph. The functions of the Director of Strategic Services and of the United States Joint Chiefs of Staff, relating to the functions transferred to the Service by this paragraph, are transferred to the Secretary of State. The personnel, property and records of the said Branches, except such thereof as is located in Germany and Austria, and so much of the other personnel, property, and records of the Office and of the funds of the Office as the Director of the Bureau of the Budget shall determine to relate primarily to the functions transferred by this paragraph, are transferred to the said Service. Military personnel now on duty in connection with the activities transferred by this paragraph may, subject to applicable law and to the extent mutually agreeable to the Secretary of State and to the Secretary of War or the Secretary of the Navy, as the case may be, continue on such duty in the Department of State.
2. The Interim Research and Intelligence Service shall be abolished as of the close of business December 31, 1945, and the Secretary of State shall provide for winding up its affairs. Pending such abolition, (a) the Secretary of State may transfer from the said Service to such agencies of the Department of State as he shall designate any function of the Service, (b) the Secretary may curtail the activities carried on by the Service, (c) the head of the Service, who shall be designated by the Secretary, shall be responsible to the Secretary or to such other officer of the Department of State as the Secretary shall direct, and (d) the Service shall, except as otherwise provided in this order, be administered as an organizational entity in the Department of State.
3. All functions of the Office not transferred by paragraph 1 of this order together with all personnel, records, property, and funds of the Office not so transferred, are transferred to the Department of War; and the Office, including the office of the Director of Strategic Services, is terminated. The functions of the Director of Strategic Services and of the United States Joint Chiefs of Staff, relating to the functions transferred by this paragraph, are transferred to the Secretary of War. Naval personnel on duty with the Office in connection with the activities transferred by this paragraph may, subject to applicable law and to the extent mutually agreeable to the Secretary of War and the Secretary of the Navy, continue on such duty in the Department of war. The Secretary of War shall, whenever he deems it compatible with the national interest, discontinue any activity transferred by this paragraph and wind up all affairs relating thereto.
4. Such further measures and dispositions as may be determined by the Director of the Bureau of the Budge to be necessary to effectuate the transfer or redistribution of functions provided for in this order shall be carried out in such manner as the Director may direct and by such agencies as he may designate.
5. All provisions of prior orders of the President which are in conflict with this order are amended accordingly.
6. This order shall, except as otherwise specifically provided, be effective as of the opening of business October 1, 1945.
HARRY S. TRUMAN
THE WHITE HOUSE,
September 20, 1945